How Jean Paul Sartre Changed My Perspective

For those of you who don't know, Jean Paul Sartre is considered to be one of the greatest thinkers of modern era. He was a patron of the philosophy of existentialism. Butttt... why am I talking about him?

Background
We do not know what we want. Yet, we are responsible for what we are.
-Sartre

So last year when I was in Noida, I stepped out of my house for the first time in my life. I had a very narrow perspective of this world. I travelled a lot. Alone. Met people. Had amazing experiences. However soon I started pondering about life.

CP, Chandni Chowk, Jamna Paar, Nizamuddin Dargah, South Delhi, Hauz Khas, Ghaziabad, Akshardham, Sector-15 etc... I will never forget the (life) lessons I learnt while traveling alone.

Idk why, but Noida and Delhi had a MAJOR impact on my perspective towards life. Apart from being career oriented, I started exploring the meaning of life, existence, purpose and spirituality.. This is where I read Sartre, Albert Camus, Aurelius, Epictetus, Seneca, Che, and others.

Sartre's Entry
So, while browsing internet; I stumbled upon this man. Sartre. I was becoming suicidal in a philosophical sense (mind you, I wasn't sad). I kept thinking about the purpose of life. Why do we exist? If there's no point of existence, then what's the harm in dying.. A phase of depression crept in, and then I was liberated (in a literal sense).


As Nietzsche implied, (i'm not quoting him exactly) - one will go into nihilism and sadness and then he'll become free.. Similar thing happened with me.. I realized his philosophy that our existence is useless and a stroke of luck.. WE ARE WHAT WE MAKE OF OURSELVES. THERE'S NO DIVINE PURPOSE! He also says, FREEDOM IS EXTREMELY FRIGHTENING.. EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE. 

On one hand when Kierkegaard was justifying this search of meaning by relying on God; Nietzsche, Camus and Sartre denied it. They seem more convincing to me. You might not agree with me, and that's totally fine. (it doesn't matter :P).

My Perception after Reading Sartre, Camus and My own Existential Crises Phase
(I believe that maybe there's a supreme power. But it surely doesn't cares about us). And after a couple of weeks of sadness/despair/acute depression I came to realize that we should do whatever we want. Nobody actually cares, and nothing matters. We can define our own morality. Our own truths.

We should not agree to the preconceived notions. Examine and scrutinize everything. And do what actually feels right.. That's when I became free of being paranoid, I overcame the fear of judgment.. I overcame the fear of having/not-having someone to love.. and most important - I started living for myself. 

And it's not only me. Many. Many people go through this same phase. Provided they raise the questions that noone wants the answer about.. To be honest, life loses its meaning after chasing these answers. And maybe that's what freedom is all about (in its true sense).

Yes I know that Sartre's philosophy is VERY deep. It's more than just existentialism and freedom. He talks about essence, thoughts, consciousness and whatnot.. But even after swimming in the shallow waters of Sartre's ocean of knowledge, I gained a lot.. It led me towards reading about Stoicism, Camus, and later on Upanishads.

Crux
You should also read him. But only after asking yourself tough questions. Like:
  • Why do we exist?
  • What's the meaning of existence?
  • Is there a god? If yes, does he cares about us?
  • Am I ready to step into a short phase of sadness?
  • Is suicide the answer?
First introspect your own self. And only after that you'll realize there's more than you thought. Don't directly read Sartre (or any thinker) because it will not let your mind ponder freely.

I can't fathom my thoughts into words very accurately.. Converting my feelings and thoughts into literature goes through massive attenuation and loss.. So, instead of sticking to my 'literal' perception, go explore everything yourself. Don't get caught in the rat race of job/sex/marriage/kids/savings/death. LIVE.

Till the next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What has Boston Gifted Me?

Straight from the Heart... my small town and the festivals.

Valentine's Week !